Miss Wright and Mrs Cattermole are excited to welcome you to Year 1.
- Mrs Cattermole will teach Daisy Class every Monday and Miss Wright will teach Daisy Class every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
- Our PE days this term are on Wednesday and Thursday. Please ensure that long hair is tied back on these days and that earrings are out (or can be removed by your child).
- Forest school will be on a Monday afternoon – children will need wellies and long-sleeved, long-legged old clothes plus waterproof trousers and coat please. Hats and gloves are a good idea in cold weather.
- Spelling test day is on a Wednesday. New spellings will go home on a Thursday. Please support your child in learning these each week
- Silver star spelling day is on Tuesday.
Supporting Children’s Learning at Home
Parental support at home is critical in enabling children to do and be their best at school. You can support your child at home by:
- Encouraging them and helping them to read to you AT LEAST 3 TIMES A WEEK.
- Read regularly TO your children – this fosters a love of books and stories and gives them access to more advanced language, structures and ideas. Chat about the books too!
- Help your child to learn their spellings each week – regular practice will help to embed this learning – as will writing the words into sentences.
- MATHLETICS – Logins can be found in their reading diaries. Regular Mathletics is an excellent and fun way to boost mathematical understanding and fluency and really has a positive impact on pupils’ abilities in the classroom. Please try to fit in a couple of sessions at home each week.
- PURPLEMASH- Logins can be found in your child’s reading diary. This website has lots of activities to develop skills across the curriculum.
Supporting Children’s Learning in School
In Daisy Class we LOVE having parent helpers and would really encourage you to come and support our learning if you have the time. Helping can take many forms so please come and speak with us if you are interested in coming in.
Some ideas of how you could support us are:
- Hearing readers – anytime!
- Helping at Forest School – Wednesday Afternoon (we need a minimum of 2 parent helpers for us to be able to go to Forest School)
- Working with the children on their ‘Silver Star Spellings’ (any afternoon)
- Sharing a skill/supporting our topic – this term our topic is ‘Animal Magic’ but this list is not exhaustive so please have a chat with us if there is another way you would like to get involved.
Spring Term 2019
Our topic this term is ‘Animal Magic!’ The children were very interested to find out about different animals and where in the world they live. During the term, they will be using their geography skills to locate different places around the world and their science skills when identifying different habitats.
Our inspiration day is on Tuesday 8th January and your child is invited to come as an animal. Let’s hope there aren’t too many lions in Daisy Class!
Look out for photos of our learning that will be coming soon!
The Lion King
We were surprised by a visit to London to see The Lion King. We enjoyed it so much that we have been revisiting the songs in class. It will further inspire our learning in the spring term.