At Melbourn Primary School we pride ourselves on providing our children with an inspiring curriculum. Our children are involved in the planning and direction of curriculum topics to ensure their interests are at the heart of the learning journey. The curriculum is structured to provide continuity and progression throughout year groups, key stages and the whole school. We organise the curriculum through a mixture of topic work and discrete subjects. Subjects are linked through themes were there is a connection likely to promote high quality learning but are taught discretely where it is of more benefit. Curriculum frameworks are regularly developed and refined.
We try to base our curriculum, whenever possible, on practical and first hand learning. The school grounds and local environment, educational visits and visitors to school contribute greatly to a curriculum relevant to the children’s experience. They are used each term to support the learning and teaching. Our curriculum is planned with 5 main aims:
- To have happy, enthusiastic and committed learners
- To equip our children with essential skills for learning and living well
- To promote our children’s sense of identity
- To encourage children to be reflective, expressive and independent
- To prepare our children for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life
- From September 2014, we have adopted the new Primary National Curriculum in England published by the DfE in September 2013. Details of the organisation of this curriculum can be found by selecting the year group page on our website.